myDigitalLife Blogs

Blogs about Digital, Lifestyle, current news and opinions
Tags >> attorney
Jun 25

One of Cape Town's best Divorce Attorney shares information on Antenuptial Contracts or Prenup Contr

Posted by Bertus in with the APPLICATION OF THE ACCRUAL SYSTEM , Who needs an Antenuptial agreement? , What types of issues can be included in an Antenup , What is meant by a Marriage out of Community of Pr , What is an Antenuptial agreement? , wedding , updates , transunion , Top South African Divorce Attorney , top divorce lawyers , top divorce lawyer , top divorce attorneys , top divorce attorney stellenbosch , top divorce attorney paarl , top divorce attorney durbanville , top divorce attorney cape town , top divorce attorney bellville , sue , south africa , solicitor , Should an Antenuptial agreement be considered cast , sheriff , SAMPLE OF AN ANTENUPTUAL AGREEMENT WITH ACCRUAL , Rights , register , prenuptial , Prenup Agreements , prenup , MATRIMONIAL PROPERTY ACT , marriage contracts , marriage contract , magistrate , litigation , litigate , legislature , legislative , legislation , legal , lawyer , Law , judgements , divorce rugby player , divorce rich , divorce famous , divorce comedian , divorce attorney fees , divorce actress , divorce actor , deed , credit worthiness , courts , court , company , celebrity divorce attorney , case , best divorce attorneys , best divorce attorney cape town , barrister , attorney , antenuptial contracts , antenuptial , ante nuptial , agreements , advocate


Newswire-CT tapped the brain of Bertus Preller one of Cape Town's best divorce and family law attorneys on Antenuptial or Prenup Agreements. Bertus Preller is based in Cape Town and has more than 20 years experience in most sectors of the law. He specializes in Family law and Divorce Law at Abrahams and Gross Attorneys Inc. in Cape Town and litigates in divorce matters across the country. He is also the Family Law expert on and on the expert panel of and is frequently quoted on Family Law issues in newspapers such as the Sunday Times and Business Times. His clients include celebrities, actors and actresses, sportsmen and sportswomen, television presenters and various high net worth individuals as well as ordinary people. He has a deep passion for matters involving children. His areas of expertise are Divorce Law, Family Law, International Divorce Law, Divorce Mediation, Parenting Plans, Parental Responsibilities and Rights, Custody (care and contact) of children, same sex marriages, unmarried father's rights, domestic violence matters.

May 14

Unmarried Fathers - What Are Your Rights? - South African Family Law

Posted by Bertus in visitation rights , unmarried fathers , primary caregiver , parental responsibility , divorce assistance , divorce application forms , divorce application form , divorce and the family , divorce and separation , divorce advice online , divorce advice , divorce act , dirty divorce tricks , dirty divorce tactics , decree of divorce , dealing with divorce , custody of children , custody , cost of divorce , cost of a divorce , cost for divorce , coping with divorce , contested divorce , consent orders , consent order , complete online divorce , clean break order divorce , clean break divorce , civil divorce , children's rights divorce , Children's Act , cheapest divorce online , cheapest divorce , cheap quick divorce , cheap online divorce , cheap divorces , cheap divorce online , cheap divorce lawyers , cheap divorce lawyer , cheap divorce , cheap and easy divorce , can i get a divorce online , can i file for divorce online , best online divorce , best divorce lawyers , attorney , applying for divorce , apply for divorce online , application form for divorce , advice to divorce , advice on divorce , advice from divorce , advice for divorce , adoption , access to children


Section 21 of the Children's Act deals with the right of contact of unmarried fathers.
The right of contact, also known as "access", is defined in section 1(1) of the Act and means:
i. maintaining a personal relationship with the child; and... See More... See More
ii. if the child lives with someone else -
a. communication on a regular basis with the child in person including visiting the child or being visited by the child; or
b. communicating on a regular basis with the child in any other manner including through the post or by telephone or any other form of electronic communication.
Section 18 provides that a person may have either full or specific parental rights and responsibilities in respect of a child. Furthermore, the parental rights and responsibilities a person may have in respect of the child include the responsibility and the right to maintain contact with the child.
In terms of section 21 an unmarried father now has full parental rights and responsibilities in respect of a child born out of wedlock if -
i. at the time of the child's birth he is living with the mother in a permanent life-partnership; or
ii. he, regardless of whether he has lived or is living with the mother,
a. consents to be identified or successfully applies in terms of section 26 (which is not in operation yet) to be identified as the child's father or pays damages in terms of customary law;
b. contributes or has attempted in good faith to contribute to the child's upbringing for a reasonable period; and
c. contributes or has attempted to contribute in good faith to contribute towards expenses in connection with the maintenance to the child for a reasonable period.
In essence section 21 means that an unmarried father has the right of contact to his child if the conditions listed above are met.
If the mother and unmarried father dispute whether or not the above criterion has been fulfilled, the matter has to be referred for mediation to a family advocate, social worker, social service professional or other suitably qualified person. If either the mother or the unmarried father are dissatisfied with the outcome of the mediation, it can be referred to court for review.
If the unmarried father does not have a right of contact in terms of section 21 or in terms of a court order, he may still be able to acquire a right of contact in terms of an agreement with the mother. The agreement must be in the prescribed format and contain the prescribed particulars. Also, the agreement must be registered with the family advocate or made an order of the High Court or the children's court on application by the parties to the agreement.
Any Magistrate's court is a children's court and will have jurisdiction to hear the matter if the child involved is ordinarily a resident within the area of the court. If more than one child is involved in the matter, the court of the area in which any of those children are ordinarily resident will have jurisdiction.
The family advocate or court will have to be satisfied that the agreement is in the best interests of the child. This requirement is in line with the Constitution which expressly provides that the interests of the child are of paramount importance. When giving effect to the best interests of the child standard, the court will consider: