myDigitalLife Blogs

Blogs about Digital, Lifestyle, current news and opinions

I'm a daddy! It's great and its hard work

Posted by: OS GIKEN


It's been a crazy week. This time last week my wife had her 1st set of contractions...she timed them all and then called me at 3ish...reading all those magazines really helped with the timing of the labour...i.e when to go to hospital!

I got to the flat in record time, to find her inhaling and blowing out as suggested, it was an exciting yet tense moment. I rushed to hospital; in the process realizing I need a faster car! We got to the hospital, they put her in a private room, which is great as you don't want to share your most intimate moments having to worry about the patient next to you...its worth that R500 p/night. I then went to go fill out the forms, and when I got back to the maternity ward, they were already wheeling her to the delivery room! Apparently she was already 8cm dilated!

It was too late for a water birth as we had scheduled, and...there was already someone in the bath giving birth! On that day, 12th of August, 14 other kids entered this bad world! They broke her water or something like that...and then the waiting started, contractions came and went and soon she was 10cm dilated and the doctor who was just next door was informed. She had to push, push, was very exciting for me but not so for her, as the magazines told us everything except when and how to push...

The doctor stood there talking to her, and I relayed everything to her by her side...she did very well as we entered the delivery room at 16h30 and baby Karli entered this world at 17h55, very quick. No issues whatsoever for both ladies, as our prayers were envisioned and she was discharged 2 days later!

Karli was a handful the first 2 we did not know what to do, change her, make her burp, sleep? My mom got there and helped us out really well, I must still buy her a present for all her help as without her, we would have had sleepless nights for real! Having baby Karli in her room was another mission on its own. Getting the room warm enough, up to 23 degrees and then putting on the humidifier and the Angelcare sound and movement monitor helped a whole lot. I found myself looking at that monitor more than 100 times as every noise saw my body tense up as I thought to myself...WHAT NOW AGAIN?

The 1st night she didn't sleep well, she had winds and was restless...the second night we got her to a routine, sleep for 4 hours, feed for 1 or 2 hours and in those hours we'd clean her, change nappies, bum cream and put her in the sun for a few minutes, then try to make her burp (which is one of the most difficult things for me) and then eventually after that burp which kept her awake and crying, she's out like a candle!

Its amazing when I look at the pictures when she entered the world compared to pictures I took yesterday, she's grown so much its hard to come to terms with it. She looks exactly like me, a mini OS GIKEN. Being a dad is crazy man, I find myself at her cot all the time feeling her little hands, she is strong and grabs them with force! An overwhelming feeling of protection and love for both Karli and her mom has washed over me!
Things I don't like about this new experience, is my/our lack of experience, what if my mom was not there? She gives us leeway so that we can try and sort out most things we can like wash her, make her sleep, burp etc. We have got that under control now but take last night for example, she had winds and we couldn't get it out, now and then she would brake wind and she'd be quiet, only to lay her in her cot and find her screaming for dear life! Only to find out, it was the navel string that fell off earlier in the day that made her uncomfortable. The methods we use to make her burp are to put her over my shoulder and then rub her back in up and down movements, normally the wind comes out in about 30 seconds or so...but if it doesn't, we are doomed. Another thing that happened last night, wifey's boobies did not produce milk! And we used up all the stored milk! And, her nipples were bruised as Karli pulls and bites them when she's hungry...the other thing that also worries me is, when she's hungry, after a sleep session, she swallows allot of wind, there is no way we can stop her as that means we'll have to take the bottle from her...we bought the bottles that promise no air will enter...but it does!

Its been a rough ride, but when I see her and she looks into my eyes, I don't care about anything else in the world! It’s truly amazing! But then she cries and then I worry again! LOL...I'm more at ease now as opposed to a couple of days ago...

OS over and out - being a dad is great, but its hard, as your sleeping and living routine is totally thrown out the window!


Comments (5)Add Comment
the new james rond
written by the new james rond, August 19, 2010
Congrats on your beautiful child. Wait until she bring the boyfriends back home....smilies/grin.gif
written by Dissol, August 19, 2010
congrats OS & Mrs OS. You soon get used to the sleep just becomes a norm!! smilies/grin.gif
written by RIC007GP, August 21, 2010
Oh boy do I remember those days. Good luck with little Karli (great name by the way). All things being equal I will be a grandfather for the first time around middle November.
written by photonz, August 25, 2010
Congratulations, mate! smilies/smiley.gif
written by Nita, September 09, 2010
Congrats, enjoy every moment

Add your 2Cents
You must be logged in to post a comment. Please register if you do not have an account yet.


Member Login