Posted by: ShackledMuse on Mar 22, 2011
Just a quick question:
Facebook has a lot of users, right? Think I read somewhere that Facebook had 60o million users in January 2011, give or take a million or two. Now would we be wrong to presume that the majority of those users are intelligent people? They have to be. People from all walks of life have FB accounts. From your average Jane and John, right up to doctors and lawyers, and even political leaders. People with degrees. Smart people.
So why is "Facebook" the most googled word?? Not just, oh maybe its popular. It receives 2 billion searches a month. 2 BILLION! There are 100 million facebook users online every single day, and 2 billion are not smart enough to save Facebook as their homepage. Or on the Toolbar. Or something. For goodness sake and for the love of all that is holy, at least the poor neglected toolbar!
I'm a bit drunk on irony tonight, so I googled Facebook myself. In the hopes that some clever tech secret would be revealed. Maybe there really is a valid reason why 2 billion users need to google the word "facebook."
Nope, sadly there isn't.
1. The first search result, is Facebook. the site with the .com at the end.
2. Then we have Facebook's Login page.
4. News results for Facebook, including some groups for Japan and Snaptu's fear for the future after Facebook acquisition.
5. Facebook on Wikipedia
6. Facebook in the NY Times,
7. Facebook on Twitter. Yup, you read right.
8. Facebook Developers. (That, atleast, is half a valid point. But if you know what the Facebook Developers thing is all about, you wouldn't need to google it on order to find it... #justsaying.)
8. And then something crunchbased related, and more social news articles.
Really?? 2 billion searches a month?