Forums
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Apartments wired for the Internet
(1 viewing) 1 Guest
Go to bottom
TOPIC: Apartments wired for the Internet
Tim
Senior Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Apartments wired for the Internet 1 Year, 9 Months ago Karma: 1
Just out being my usual self I read a post for someone who is moving into an apartment that the landlord says is connected to the Internet. Sounds good to me almost too good. Unlimited downloads for free immediately sprang to mind but this is South Africa so this has to be too good to be tru. Anywho the person was told that they would need a new router to connect to the network which is a bit odd.

I hope they liked my reply.

If your apartment has wireless connectivity and I have seen some that do then you will not need a router to connect to it. However it will have a security key of some sort to enable you to access it.
If the apartment has connectivity through a telephone jack then you would need to have a router to access it. This would enable you to connect wirelessly in whichever room you want. In setting up the wireless please make sure that you put a security key on it to stop other people acessing your network.
In choosing an ISP you would need to look at how much data you are going to be transferring. It may be better to look at a lower cost package with limited access (capped) at say 3GB rather than going for uncapped or even unshaped connectivity.

Logged Logged
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
Go to top

Member Login