|SA's top smartphone brands|
Tuesday, 17 April 2012 12:30
Smartphone penetration in SA is growing at a rapid rate and analysts predict it will see a significant spike over the next couple of years.
Arthur Goldstuck, MD of World Wide Worx, says the current number of South African cellphone users who have smartphones is 21%, more than double what it was a year ago.
Gartner predicts smartphone penetration in SA is likely to reach 80% by 2014.
As the proliferation of smartphones continues to spiral upward, so does competition and the tussle between brands for their share of the burgeoning market.
According to Goldstuck, this is how the market is currently divided in SA:
1. BlackBerry, by Research In Motion, has the lion's share, with 45-50% of the market.
2. Finnish firm Nokia's smartphones take second place, with around 35-40%.
3. South Korea's Samsung Group has close to 10% of SA's smartphone market share.
4. US-based Apple's globally popular iPhone only holds about a 3% stake in SA.
5. US-based Motorola, South Korea's LG and Japan's Sony smartphones each have around 1%.
Add your 2Cents
Newer news items:
Older news items: